The weather in London is getting colder and my lips are starting to chap. Thus I start using a lot of lip balms. But, since I adore making my own natural skin care, I always make the lip balms myself. It is really easy and takes like 10-15 min.
Today I am going to share one of my recipes for a nourishing Cocoa Butter and Honey lip balm. This is my favorite one. It stays on my lips for a long time due to the organic beeswax that I add. And if I use it for 1-2 days my lips transform from chapped and dry to smooth and moisturized.
All you need for this DIY lip balm is:
1. Shea Butter (I also add Cupuacu Butter, which is hard to get in London) – 1 tablespoon
2. Cocoa Butter – 2 tablespoons
3. Avocado Butter – 1 tablespoon
4. Beeswax – 1.5 tablespoon
5. Honey (I use organic British honey with added propolis) – 1 teaspoon
6. Small containers (You can use the ones that are left from the old lip balms)
Shea, Cocoa and Avocado Butters – Nourishing and extremely moisturizing, protecting the delicate lip skin from the harsh cold weather and the sun. Cocoa and Shea butters are also known for their wound-healing properties, so they are perfect for chapped, bleeding skin.
Honey + Propolis – Provide anti-bacterial and wound-healing properties.
Beeswax – Acts similar to the “barrier creams” protecting the skin from the environment.
1. Take 2 pans. 1 should be smaller than the other. Boil the water in the big pan and put the smaller pan in the big one. But the beeswax in the small pan and melt it. It takes about 3-5 min.
2. Add melted butters (Shea, Cupuacu, Cocoa, Avocado) and honey to the melted beeswax. You can melt the butters in the microwave.
3. Pour the melted beeswax and butter mix into your containers.
4. Wait for a bit and there you go! Your own natural Cocoa Butter and Honey Lip Balm is ready. Smells just like chocolate. And beeswax.